Wednesday, June 15, 2011

James' Birth Story

So now that my learning curve is slightly better than it was... I have time to make a little recap of James' birth story. I'm sure I will get some details wrong... forget some things... etc., but if I don't recap it now, I know I won't remember down the road... So here goes (Jimmy, feel free to let me know what details I get wrong because you were in a ... "saner" state of mind - ha!)

So it is no secret that I was ready to hurry up and deliver our sweet baby James... His due date was 4-23-2011, but I just knew I was going to have him a smidge early (well, I was hoping...). So on 4-20 I was having pretty consistent braxton hicks all day... I didn't think much of it because I had been having them all week... 

So that evening Jimmy and I decided to go out to eat... We went to dinner, had a fun time, and right when we got home I went and got ready for bed. Every other day of that week I had not gotten ready for bed so early because I "knew" I would be going into labor any minute... well I guess you could say I had given up hope, because I got ready for bed as soon as we got home, and then Jimmy and I snuggled in to watch our Wednesday night show - Modern Family. During a commercial Jimbo got up to use the bathroom and at that time, I had my very first contraction.

You know how everyone talks about "false labor"?? Well I was so worried about going into the hospital thinking I was labor when I really wasn't, since I was constantly having braxton hicks. I kept asking all of my girlfriends, "how do you know when it is real labor?!" ... and they kept responding, "Cam, you just know," which was so annoying because that didn't tell me anything... but in all honesty -- they were right... You just know!

So right when Jimmy walked back into the den and saw my face - his mouth opened wide and said, "It's time, isn't it?!" I guess my face said it all - I was in labor (ouch!!!!). So I think that was around 8:30 p.m. or so... so from then we started timing the contractions... They were getting closer and closer and so I hopped in the shower and by the time I finished blow drying my hair, we decided... IT WAS TIME TO GO!

So we said goodbye to ol' Sadie, packed up the car and headed on the road... We didn't quite make it to 5 minutes apart, but I told Jimmy I didn't care if I had to wait in the hospital parking lot until they were closer, I wanted to be sure to get there in time (for my epidural, of course!).

So we are driving, a little dazed, a little nervous, a little scared, etc.... then BAM! a contraction hits while we are on I-85... I tell Jimmy, "I need to get out of this car!" haha... I was being that typical, good ol crazy pregnant lady... :)

So we arrive to the hospital and I am in some pain! Like serious... contractions... don't talk to me... don't ask me any questions.... pain! We finally get to our spot, check in and we head to our room so I can get checked...

Of course I can't figure out how to put on the dern hospital gown. Unfortunately my non-mechanical hubby can't either and I start to go insane. So Jimmers steps out to get a nurse to show us how to put it on, hahaha.....

So I get my gown on, and Jimmy is ready with the camera - I look so happy, don't I?


So we're waiting in this room and I'm getting really anxious... "Why haven't they come to check yet?!" So finally, a nurse comes, and I hop on the bed (although I really didn't want to... for some reason I prefered standing...). Anywho, she checks and she exclaims, "You're one tough cookie!" So I just look at her like, "What's that supposed to mean?!" and she tells me how I'm already 6 cm dilated. My immediate response, "It's not too late for the epidural, right????" Hahaha....

Well apparently we were cutting it close because she responded by saying, "We need to get you over to labor and delivery, pronto!" So she puts me in a wheelchair and she literally runs to the other side of the floor to get me admitted so that I don't miss out on my epidural (what a sweet, sweet nurse!).

So when I get to our room, Jimmy was Johnny on the Spot and took a picture of the bed before I climbed in... (the nurses thought that was sooo funny).


So I climb on in and I know I have to get two bags of fluids and my blood drawn before they can administer the epidural... and I was READY for the epidural! But of course it took them F-O-R-E-V-E-R-R-R to find my vein and to get the IV in...

Which reminded me of a co-worker, Terry Mannino.. Terry told me while she was in labor an intern or resident was about to give her her IV. She looked him square in the eye and said, "If you hurt me, I'll kill you." The intern/resident left the room and the doctor came in and gave her the IV. I wish I had been so ballsy. But alas, they found the dern thing and got the IV in, whew! By the time I was finally ready for the epidural I was already 8 cm and in some major pain (more power to those women out there who can do it without!). 

(Picture of Jimbo and I pre-baby, pre-epidural... fear in my eyes! haha...)


I got my epidural and all was right with the world. I jokingly started considering naming my child after the miracle drug. My mom came in to check on us at like 5 in the morning and who was asleep? Both Jimmy and I! Mom said something was wrong with this picture -- I was in labor and fast asleep... (she birthed all 4 of us, naturally... crazy wo'man ;-) haha...)

(Picture of Mom & I... maybe post-epidural? I don't remember... Mom and dad got there shortly after we called around midnight... Can you say they were excited?! haha....)


So finally it is time to push, long story short - James is here and it was so surreal. We had considered two different names and chose his name once we saw him... James Hunter... James from his daddy and grandfather and Hunter from my dad.




  A picture of the doctor who delievered James, Dr. DuBose, and the nurse, Nancy....


Our first official family photo (minus ol' Sadie-kens... they wouldn't allow her in the hospital, how ridiculous, right?? :)


 Before we knew it the whole fam was rushing in to meet the little guy...  Frannie and Mom were the first in the door... I think they came barreling in... Can you tell we were all sobing?? Haha... Such a sweet memory :)


James and I... we worked hard for his moment :)


Nana, Pop and James...


Auntie Fannie drove all the way from NC to meet Mr. James!


Joy and Gracie were excited... Gracie said he looked like a baby doll. She was so cute. Adeline came in too and kept look at me like, "Are you alright?!" I guess because I was laid up in the bed with cords flying every where. Such sweet cousins :)


The Kirchers came from A-town, and were so excited to meet their first grandbaby... Grandpa, Grammy, Jimmy, James and I...


Gigi came by once we were settled in the room... And yes, it appears as though Jersey Shore is on, but to be honest I think we had it on the news and they were talking about it on the news... (That's my story and I'm sticking to it! haha...)


Craig and Tricia drove all the way from Columbia after work with both the boys the day James came just to meet him on his official birthday. James is one special boy who is very loved!


The night James was born... (look how swollen my ankles were!)...


Sandra came by the next day...


So in a nutshell that is the day James was born. I have some funny stories to share from while we were there, but for now... this is it!

This day seems so long ago, yet again... it feels like it was yesterday. We love you James! You have already changed our lives so much in the (almost) eight weeks you've been with us in the best way possible. We are so blessed!




No comments:

Post a Comment