Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Finally getting over that new job learning curb...

So every new job has some sort of learning curve... You know where you don't really know what you're doing and there is some "on the job training" (aka being thrust into it).... Well that's basically how motherhood is, in my opinion... You know, you read all these books, online articles, parent magazines, etc... You get as prepared as you possibly can, which is never enough - ha!, and then the little bambino is here and it's like, "wait a minute... this wasn't in the book?!"

So I finally feel as though I'm over the first major learning curve of just becoming a mom. I feel like I have it all down... for the most part. I know the "on the job training" will never end, and I will constantly be learning new things as James gets older and when he becomes a big brother (one day far away from today, haha....), but for now I feel as though I'm in a good place.

This post is also coming after my first amazing day with sweet baby James. I know there are a lot of mix feelings about Babywise, but starting on week one we started semi-implementing these principles in our day-to-day schedule. I can honestly say I thought I was doing it, but I really wasn't... I did the whole eat, play, sleep routine... and kept him on a 3 hour schedule... but that wasn't the main point of the book... I don't think so, at least.

So after our trip to the beach I realized James wasn't napping as he should... and that was my fault. So on the Monday after we got home I started some major sleep training, as I obsessed with my new found online Baby Bible, Chronicles of a Babywise Mom.

Day one was terrible... to be honest they all were, but Monday was def. the worst. I know the mixed emotions people feel about Babywise has to do with the Crying It Out (CIO), but it isn't as bad as people may think. It isn't as though you just lay your baby down and walk out the door... but you do let them cry for a bit, and if they don't stop you go in and try to soothe them (well, you do what you want, but this is what I did). As you can imagine this can drive one crazy... which it did.... (SORRY JIMMY :) haha...)

So needless to say it was tough, but so worth it considering yesterday James took three phenomenal naps yesterday (3 out of 4 ain't too bad!)! I put him down for those naps wide awake and he put himself to sleep and slept for around 2 hours with NO crying!!!! It was amazing. I kept checking the monitor like - "is this thing on?!"

What I think is so important to also point out is James was SO happy when he woke up this morning (well... when I woke him up, ha!). It is amazing how much happier a baby with plenty of sleep is! Before I started his "sleep training" James would typically stay up for a mere 45 minutes or so for his wake time (30 of which is for feeding).... but this morning he was up for an hour and 10 minutes, which is pretty big stuff for a newborn!

So... I just wanted to make a quick post and endorse the Babywise principles... It is really hard to do it, but I really think it is worth it. I know it is a roller coaster and just because yesterday was great doesn't mean today will, but we are on a path toward great sleep for my little man, which is great! :)

1 comment:

  1. Love it! We've done the same and I can't imagine life without it! It makes your day so much easier to work with, way to go!

    ReplyDelete