Monday, October 18, 2010

How I told Jimbo

So I feel like I need to do a little back-tracking since I started the new blog a little later than I would have liked... So I figured I would take this opportunity to tell you all how I told Jimbo I was pregnant...

As a family unit of two... we decided early in our marriage that we would wait until we were married three years to start growing our family. Of course I tried to push it up a few times, but good ol' Jimbo -- he was strict on his word... well almost. We didn't start trying, but simply... "stopped trying to prevent" in early May (our anniversary is June 23) -- so technically I got him to budge one month :).

Well of course, me being the person I am, every month I was CONVINCED I was pregnant. I probably took close to 10 pregnancy tests between May and August... Which to me, doesn't sound like a lot... but to Jimmy (and other cost-conscience husbands) it does... because "those tests are expensive!"

So anyways, August was just like June and July -- I just knew I was pregnant. I took a test on the day I should have started my wonderful time of the month, but it was negative. Jimmy told me that I had to wait until Friday to take another. Well... it was Wednesday... I had a committee meeting at lunch, and decided I would sneak home because I had a test waiting for me that Jimmy didn't know anything about.

I ran home, took a test and da-da-da-daaaa there were two lines. I was so shocked, excited, nervous, scared, happy, etc. I didn't know what to do.

First up I called my boss and told her I wasn't feeling too great, and asked if I could just take the rest of the day off. (There wasn't ANY way I could go back to work with this kind of news in my head!)

Then, I called Jimmy and told him I was going to stop by... See once a year, the company that services our printers (at the Chamber) comes around for "Customer Appreciation Day," in which they bring an ice cream truck around to their clients and let everyone in the office pick whatever they want. In years past I took a treat to Jimmy. And today just happened to be the day the ice cream truck was coming around..

So that was my excuse for coming by (even though I never saw that ice cream truck).

So I run by Walgreen's to pick him up some ice cream. Then I walk around the store trying to find something "baby-ish" to purchase.

Well... not much to buy other than diapers, sippy cups and ugly toys. So I settled on a card. I pulled up to Jimmy's office and he came down. I haded him his ice cream and was counting the seconds until he noticed this card sitting on the dash of my car... Well - typical guy - he never noticed. So finally I said, "AREN'T YOU GOING TO LOOK!" and I pointed at the card.

He looked at my quizzically and said, "... what's.. that?"

And then I just started smiling, crying, etc... as he picked it up and read it... and then he stopped... and then looked at me and said, "... really??"

:) It was a great day!

... oh and when I told my mom this story, come to find out she told my dad the exact same way (when she found out she was pregnant for the first time -- with Hunter)... Great minds think alike!

No comments:

Post a Comment